We hope this article finds you well and enjoying the beauty of your gardens as we transition into the delightful month of October. At Deneweth's Garden Center, we are dedicated to making your gardening experience enjoyable and successful. As the leaves change color and the temperatures drop, there's still plenty to do in your garden. Let's dive into some valuable gardening tips for this quintessential autumn month:
1. Fall Clean-Up:
- As the trees shed their leaves, keep your garden tidy by raking and composting fallen foliage. This helps maintain a healthy garden ecosystem.
- Trim back perennials and remove spent annuals to prevent disease and prepare for winter.
- Pull any weeds that are present to ensure a blank slate in the spring.
2. Protect Tender Plants:
- Before the first frost, bring indoor plants back inside, or provide them with appropriate protection. Certain herbs like parsley, chives, and rosemary can be repotted and grow indoors over the winter.
- Cover delicate plants with frost cloth or mulch to shield them from chilly nights.
3. Soil Care:
- Consider testing your soil's pH and nutrient levels to prepare for next year's growing season. We offer soil tesing at our Macomb store!
- Add organic matter to your garden beds to improve soil structure.
4. Fall Fertilization:
- Apply a slow-release, balanced fertilizer to nourish your plants throughout the winter months.
5. Garden Décor:
- Spruce up your outdoor space with our selection of charming fall garden décor, including colorful mums, decorative pumpkins, and more.
6. Garden Tools and Supplies:
- Don't forget to clean and store your garden tools properly to keep them in great condition for the next growing season.
Visit our stores in Macomb and Hartland to find all the supplies you need to make the most of your fall gardening efforts. Our knowledgeable staff is always here to assist you with any questions or concerns you may have!